The Aboriginal Resource Officer Program
Aboriginal Resource Officers Work with Victims Services and Provide Aboriginal Victims of Crime and Traumatic events with:
- crisis intervention and support;
- information about the criminal justice system;
- referrals to appropriate services;
- assistance with applications for victims compensation and/or restitution, and victim impact statements;
- court orientation;
- court accompaniment;
- case updates; and
- an explanation about procedures the police must follow in specific situations
What does an Aboriginal Resource Officer do?An Aboriginal Resource Officer will:
- provide culturally-appropriate support services to Aboriginal victims of crime and traumatic events;
- assist in the development and delivery of programs and initiatives to meet the needs of Aboriginal victims of crime and their families;
- assist in the development and delivery of public education/awareness programs on crime prevention strategies for Aboriginal youth and adults;
- participate in activities and meetings with Aboriginal groups and community agencies to provide liaison and communication with police services;
- work with community services and school staff on Aboriginal-related matters;
- consult with police officers and provide advice and assistance on cases involving Aboriginal people;
- help to identify and recruit Aboriginal volunteer support workers for Victims Services;
- provide information on Aboriginal culture to local police; and
- provide information to Aboriginal people who would like to join municipal police services or the RCMP.
- Specific program services may differ in different communities.
Where can I go for Help?Aboriginal Resource Officers are available at this location: Yorkton: RCMP Yorkton City Detachment
37 - 3rd Avenue North
Yorkton SK, S3N 1C1
Telephone: (306) 786-2416
Fax (306) 786-2415
How can you help me?Anoch namoya kayas ka machi atoskiyan oto Simaganisinok.
Kespin kichiwakan ekwa kiya e mayawishiwitoyek, ahchi namoya kikway e meyo payik kiyawaw kichi.
Iskwewak ekwo awasisak ahci khaki miskammatinawaw awiyak kita pekiskwatikoyek.
Translation:We work within the police services. When you and your family are experiencing difficulty, we will find someone to help you and your family.
For more information, contact:
Aboriginal Resources Officer Program
Parkland Victim Services
37 - 3rd Avenue N.
Yorkton, Sask. S3N 1C1